How to organize and study a language on your own
Dec 2, 2020
How to organize and study a language on your own
The frenetic pace that today makes us all take makes it impossible sometimes to find time to study languages. However, we must be aware of the great tool that we now have, which allows us to adapt circumstances to ourselves, to our possibilities and times: the Internet. A good Internet connection and a computer can be the fundamental elements that make it possible for you to study that language that you have so much desire, even if at first it seems impossible to reconcile tasks in your day-to-day life. Of course, with your desire, time and organization.
Tips for organizing yourself in studying a language on your own
The coronavirus situation that has paralyzed the whole world this year 2020 has made it possible to value many of the resources that we have and that until now we had not been able to get the most out of it. The possibility of doing many things electronically and from home is proof that if you want, you can also study a language on your own. Resources are available and easy to access. It is only necessary to follow a series of guidelines to organize and achieve the desired objective.
- Before you start, set a goal for yourself clearly. That is, specify yourself what you want to achieve. It could be, if you are starting, the A1 level of a foreign language, for example, to act accordingly to your goal and to direct yourself to it and take the right steps, without ambivalence, and achieve it.
- Make a work plan in which you have to start with the time available. A company like this requires dedication, that's necessary. You decide what quality time you can dedicate to it. Make a plan for weeks of what days you can spend studying, how many hours those days. It is highly recommended that the time spent studying is of quality. That is, you can dedicate yourself completely, without distractions, with full concentration. You already know that at that time all you have to do is study, including necessary breaks, so you must be fully aware of this to prepare for your week.
- It is essential that you set a date for yourself before starting to obtain the results, to reach the goal. You have to be very realistic, because depending on the language, obtaining a level may take more or less time, it will also depend on the time you can dedicate. From the beginning, put a date on your plan and when you start and get into the matter, make the pertinent modifications. Try that nothing that is not really important prevents you from achieving it in the marked time.
- You need to spend some time looking for study materials, as you won't have to when you sit down and start your plan. Therefore, it is essential that you do a good search first. See which books are the most advisable, dictionaries, readings, additional material such as movies, series, songs, TV and radio channels, etc. Look for a while for blogs of people who can help you, look for people who have already done it and who can serve as a reference. There will be a lot of material that you can get on the Internet to download and other, it may be, that you have to look for it by other means.
- Organize your study environment well. It is essential that you find yourself a fixed place for this objective and that you condition it to the maximum so that it transmits inspiration, concentration and all the tranquility you need to study. A place where you are comfortable and pleasant is essential, where there is no noise during your work time and where no one is going to disturb you.
- Remember that when you study a language it is not just about memorizing the grammar. A foreign language, to master it, you have to work it at other levels: reading and oral comprehension, in addition to the spoken part and written expression. Keep in mind that the material you have selected has to serve as the basis for all this and that every week you have to plan the work of each of these parts.
- It is recommended that the entire organization be in writing, that you have your weekly plan in a kind of schedule or table, so you can see it. The visualization process is essential for motivation and advancement in the study of a foreign language. Have a notebook in which to write down possible doubts, things that arise and that you think you need, etc. A guide that accompanies you like this is essential and is beneficial.
- Look for applications that can help you learn the language. They are a more fun and enjoyable way of working and moving forward. There are some that are very playful and you can study almost without realizing it, you will have a great time.
- Look for exchanges, that's something that will help you move faster, socialize and have a good time while learning a language. Today you can find many people available to do it, even groups. Also online, in case you want to do it from home or you can't go out, you have that possibility. Practice without fear, accept with appreciation the corrections that can be made, it is essential to advance and learn a foreign language.
- Do not forget to have as a fundamental work tool: a good dictionary . Look for a good one, much more if you want to study a language to higher levels, even if you are starting now. It will help you to solve all the doubts you have, to move forward. Do not trust online translators, not all, because some do automatic translations without taking into account the meaning of the text, sentence or word.
- Celebrate your achievement. Once you have reached your goal, the goal, celebrate it. You deserve recognition for the work you have done. For your dedication, for your time, for your learning and improvement, for the commitment that you have maintained with you, but, above all, for not having left it and having reached the end.