Goethe-Zertifikat A2 German exam
Nov 23, 2020
Goethe-Zertifikat A2 German exam
The Goethe-Institut (Goethe Institute) is a German public body whose purpose is to disseminate the German language and the culture of this country, in addition to seeking to establish accurate foreign relations between the countries where it is linked and Germany itself. Among his various tasks, he has the power to carry out accreditations for the command of the German language.
Its tests are governed by the six levels established in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), ranging from A1 to C2. Of the 6 levels, the German exam corresponding to the second level is the Goethe-Zertifikat A2 which, as its name indicates, certifies the basic level A2, since the letter "A" indicates that it is an elementary domain in use of the language.
Below we provide all the information regarding obtaining the A2 German certificate.
The German A2 exam
This test is for adults and adolescents and, although a lower age is not exclusive, it is recommended from 16 years of age, but there are institutions where it is commonly promoted from 12. It is an examination that confirms the possession of simple skills in driving of the German language and, as it does not require a specific age, it does not require German nationality. In the words of the Goethe Institute itself, this test certifies that:
- They can understand and express common everyday phrases in German.
- It is known to transmit in routine and casual day-to-day situations information on familiar and current topics.
- In simple terms, we can talk about our origins, skills and training, as well as describe the immediate environment and know how to communicate our own needs.
In addition, once the exam is passed, it is confirmed that we have the ability to:
- Fill out forms for job interviews, businesses, banks, institutions, etc.
- Be able to understand and extract important fragments, written or oral, from newspaper articles, telephone conversations or television broadcasts.
- Agree and refute ideas from daily life and immediate events in common conversations.
- Answer and establish spontaneous questions in a daily conversation.
Parts of the test and duration of the German A2 exam
The certificate requires two compulsory tests to obtain the German qualification level A2, which in turn are divided into two parts.
- Oral exam. Total duration: 40 to 45 minutes. Contents:
° Hören (listen). This part consists of carrying out tasks based on listening to radio communications and interviews, daily conversations, telephone calls and public announcements. Its duration is approximately 30 minutes.
° Sprechen (to speak). This part can occur in two ways, the most common is as a couple and there is a possibility of presenting it individually. It consists of introducing yourself first in the conversation and then asking and answering personal questions with the interlocutor, as well as planning activities together. The duration is 15 minutes, 10 in case of individual situation.
- Written exam. Total duration: approximately 1 hour. Contents:
° Lesen (read). Short texts such as newspaper articles, posters, tabloids, advertisements, emails, letters or faxes should be read and then carried out tasks on them with a communicative approach, in such a way that it is demonstrated that the content can be transmitted.
° Schreiben (write). Short personal texts should be written about the closest environment. It can include, for example, writing a letter, an email, or your reply. Typical institutional paperwork forms may also be filled out.
As we can see, the test generally has a duration of 1 hour with 40 or 45 minutes approximately.
Didactic materials to prepare for A2 German
It is recommended to take into account some materials specifically intended for this test. The Goethe Institute provides us with content to study directly on for the A2 certificate. It does so through its website and there are two modules:
- Online exercise materials . This section includes an online practice without barriers divided into lessons, which make up an accessible model of the A2 exam.
- Materials to download. This section includes a test of the A2 exam for adults in PDF format, a sample of the hearing test in MP4 format and a sample of the oral module to be seen directly in a video.
We can also use the following bibliography:
- Prüfungstraining Goethe-Zertifikat A2: Goethe-Zertifikat A2. Cornelsen, 2016.
- Mit erfolg zum Goethe-Zertifikat A2. Exercise book and test book + cd. Klett-Langenscheidt, 2016.
- Fit fürs Goethe-Zertifikat A2 . Textbook with audio CD. Hueber, 2016.
Likewise, the institute also provides a vocabulary (all in German) on its website that serves as a guide for this level.
- Upon arrival, it is important to have our identification on hand, as the supervisor will ask for it to enter the exam.
- Although it is not a requirement to take a course to take the test, it is recommended, depending on the level, to take 200 to 350 sessions of about 45 minutes each to pass it. Preparation courses for the German A2 qualification are usually planned like this; that is, between 150 and 260 hours of class approximately.
- The test is carried out with globally unified criteria, no matter where we take it. However, access to the content is restricted, so we should not waste time trying to memorize data, topics or texts. It is important to have an open study of the level, not concrete. Of course, personal information is objective and invariable, but not the ways in which questions will be asked about it.
In short, the Goethe-Zertifikat A2 German exam is a certificate that guarantees mastery of the language at a basic level according to the CEFR, but which guarantees sufficient possession of its use in everyday life. In addition, like any German qualification from the Goethe Institute, it has prestige and international recognition, qualities by which it opens the doors of academic and working life both for tests in our country and for any stay in the German nation. Among other things, it can be used in immigration procedures or for school stays. If it is our level, this is the time to take the test.