The test lasts approximately 2½ hours, with:
- 45 minutes for Section I: Listen
- 75 minutes for Section II: Reading
- approximately 30 minutes to answer biographical questions
Section I: Listen
Test takers listen to a variety of questions and short conversations recorded in English, then answer the questions based on what they have heard (100 items in total).
- Part 1: Photographs
- Part 2: Question-Answer
- Part 3: conversations
- Part 4: short conversations
Section II: Reading
Test takers read a variety of materials and respond at their own pace (100 articles total).
- Part 5: Incomplete sentences
- Part 6: Acknowledging Errors or Completing Text
- Part 7: Reading Comprehension